7.22.2014

life as a {mostly} stay at home mom

When I was pregnant with Mason, teaching full-time and going to graduate school full-time, I would often find myself day dreaming about the future of staying at home all day with our little guy. I couldn't wait to be a new kind of busy--instead of darting from work to school to homework day after day, I was excited to fill my days with diapers, fruit snacks and Sesame Street. I have officially been a stay at home mom (other than my part-time "seasonal" work at the U), for one full school year. I still measure life by school years. I love it. I am so grateful to be with Mason during the day. I know there are many moms (and dads) who wish they could be at home and don't have the opportunity.

Over the last few months as Mason has settled into a regular nap schedule, I have all of the sudden found myself with a little more free time than I have had...ever? It sounds ridiculous, but sometimes I don't know what to do with myself. You can only watch so much Dr. Phil and spend so much time on Pinterest before you start to feel like you are being totally unproductive. {Which I am.} I hate being unproductive. But, the viciousness of the cycle is, when I am not busy I am completely unproductive. It takes me days to put away laundry, there is little to no motivation to cook dinner and doing anything but putting my hair up wet right out of the shower seems like way too much effort. So why is that? I have a list of projects I would like to complete before the new baby comes and a lot of rooms/closets/cabinets that could use some rearranging, but I just can't find the motivation to do anything. (Not to mention that if my child were born today she would be naked and without a bed). Why is it that when you have time to do all of those "extra" things that it is incredibly hard to find the motivation to do it? Am I the only one in that boat?

So here's to finding the balance of being mom and that person who worked her butt off to get a master's degree while pregnant and teaching full-time.

And just because it's adorable, Mason taking Bandith for a "walk" around the living room. This is his new favorite past time that must be repeated at least fifteen times a day. Also, Mason is obsessed with the blow dryer and will hold it up to his head to "dry" his hair. (Which is an anomaly considering the days of my blow dryer use are few and far between...).


No comments:

Post a Comment