3.08.2012

Going to 1st Grade

So, let's just lay this on the table. Teaching is hard. Teaching in a Title 1 school that houses the homeless shelter kids is hard. Not getting emotionally charged and wanting to chew some of the parents out is hard. I love teaching, but it is hard. (Ahem, Utah legislatures that don't agree with this, please come visit me in room 2226, Washington Elementary). 

This has been an interesting and extremely stressful/emotional school year over in the third grade. The year started off with a slight meltdown in my principal's office with lots of tears and then feeling like a complete idiot. Don't get me wrong, I love my little kiddies, but something just has not clicked this year. I have literally spent the last 6 months figuring out what in the world I was going to do for work next year and teaching was not on the "list of possibilities." I don't think an hour has gone by that I have not thought about this. (You may think that is an exaggeration...sadly, no. Just ask Don, my mom or my mother-in-law whom have had the pleasure of witnessing lots of not so attractive melt downs).  I will not bore you with the long list of job possibilities I have spent endless hours pondering, nor go on with this post that may or may not be a little dramatic. 

So, onto the good stuff....I LOVE first graders. Seriously, how could little people who still believe in leprechauns and Santa and try to sneak potato bugs in from recess not be adorable? Last week I found out that the district where I work would be giving our school funding to add a new first grade class next school year. I immediately knew this opening was an answer to alot of prayers and alot of sleepless nights. As you may have gathered, I will be teaching first grade next year. And I am over-the-moon excited!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love first graders too! Christian will be in first grade this year and I'm moarning the fact that he will stop having faith in leprechauns and Santa somewhere down the road. So excited for you to be in a class where childlikeness will still be present. Kids just want to grow up so fast and have so much more negative stuff to deal with now. I am so sorry this year has been so difficult for you. I hope that this next year will be much better. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete